I love horror movies. Shocking, right? B-horror, teen horror, slasher movies, 80s horror. I love them all. Some of you might be wondering why I chose to list the top five best PG-13 horror movies rather than just any old horror movie. We all know the R rated ones can show the most boob and the most spilling guts, but there's something to be said about those that have been rated PG-13. Besides, I write books primarily for teens and young adults, so I wanted to make a top five that they could see without using a fake ID.
So, here we have it. N.R. Wick's top Ten PG-13 horror movies.
10. Prom Night - I know, I totally went here. While this movie is completely filled with cliches, it's a pretty good slasher film for teens. Also, there is some surprisingly fantastic cinematography in a couple scenes... if you're into that sort of thing.
9. The Haunting in Connecticut - Kyle Gallner is amazing. Also,
Casey Jones Elias Koteas is in it. Half of the appeal of this movie is the two of them, but there are some other great things about it like spewing ectoplasm.
8. One Missed Call - Shannyn Sossamon has the emotional range of a rock, but this one's creepy. Who wouldn't be scared by getting a phone call from a dead friend and a message of themselves being killed?
7. White Noise - Great movie with
Batman Michael Keaton obsessing over EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena). Have to admit that I love stories like this one, but I won't say much about it because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it.
6. The Ring - Let's face it, this one never gets old.
5.The Mothman Prophecies - This is another one of my favorite types of stories. Some may or may not classify this as straight out horror, but it's a great movie.
4. Lady in White - Kind of old, but I love this one.
3. Last Exorcism - Not your typical exorcism movie, and it's shot in a documentary style.
2. Insidious - This one is a pretty recent one and it was not only creepy, but it's got a few fresh tropes in. Also, the paranormal investigators are darkly hilarious.
1. 1408 - Probably one of my favorites movies in general. How can you go wrong with a Stephen King story and JOHN CUSACK? You just can't. This one reminds me a little of the Silent Hill games (NOT movie).
There we have it. Trust me, it was hard to decide on only ten since there are many other awesome PG-13 horror movies.
[Edited] I wanted to add two that are technically rated R but I'm not really sure why. They aren't any worse than the ones on my list, and they are really great movies. The first is People Under the Stairs, which is an older movie, but it's creepy and funny and disturbing. The other, is The Orphanage, which is a foreign film, and is amazing.
[READER RESPONSE: What's your favourite PG-13 (or lower rating) horror movie?]